Cooking, candles, decorations, electrical cords, and heating devices, are all things you can expect at a winter holiday party, but, they’re also fire hazards. Keep your holiday parties safe.
Fire Administration (USFA) tips:
• Test your smoke alarms and tell your guests about your home fire escape plan.
• Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
• Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
• Stay in the kitchen when cooking at high temperatures; like frying, grilling or broiling.
• Ask people who smoke to smoke outside. Remind smokers to keep their smoking materials with them, so young children don’t touch them.
• Provide large, deep ashtrays for smokers. Thoroughly wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.
Find Home Holiday Fire Facts, Christmas Tree Fire Safety, and other Holiday Fire Safety tips on the USFA’s Holiday Fire Safety page (https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/out…).
EM Coordinator David Marsee, Durham County Emergency Management